- While on one hand Russia is not agreeable to US designs in Europe, on the other hand it is expanding its diplomatic reach in Asia.
- The Ukraine crisis is perceived by Russia as an attempt by West to undermine its presence in the region and denial of people’s right for self-determination.
- Russian and Indian interests converge at the United Nations as both share the core values and principles of the UN in dealing with global and regional challenges of peace, security and development. Russia thus supports India’s membership at the UNSC as a permanent member.
- BRICS and SCO have emerged as two important platforms for cooperation in a host of issues like promoting further coordination on strategic stability, international and regional security, non-proliferation of weapons of mass destruction, settlement of regional conflicts and maintenance of regional stability etc.
- India- Russia strategic partnership is not only stipulated to the defense arena but goes beyond it. It also includes nuclear energy, sharing cutting-edge technologies in most sensitive spheres etc.
- Despite the strong relationship, the bilateral trade between the two countries is low and mechanism to diversify and intensify trade and investment especially in areas like energy, space, manufacturing, transport and communication etc. offer bright prospects.